For the Broth:
- 2 kg beef bones (knuckle bones, marrow bones, oxtail)
- 1 onion, charred
- 1 ginger, charred
- 5 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the Soup:
- 500g rice noodles
- 300g rare beef slices
- 300g beef brisket, cooked and sliced
- Fresh herbs (Thai basil, mint, cilantro)
- Bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha sauce
- Sliced chili peppers
Prepare the Broth:
- Roast the onion and ginger over an open flame until charred. Rinse them under cold water to remove the charred skin.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the beef bones for about 5 minutes. Rinse them under cold water.
- Add the beef bones, charred onion, charred ginger, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, salt, and sugar to a large stockpot.
- Fill the pot with water until the ingredients are fully submerged. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
- Let the broth simmer for at least 4-6 hours, adding water as needed to maintain the level. The longer you simmer, the richer the flavor.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into another pot. Discard the solids.
Prepare the Soup:
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water until softened. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot of boiling water, blanch the rice noodles for a few seconds to heat them. Drain and divide them among serving bowls.
- Arrange the rare beef slices and cooked beef brisket on top of the noodles.
Serve the Pho:
- Ladle the hot beef broth into each bowl, covering the beef and noodles.
- Serve the bowls of pho with a plate of fresh herbs, bean sprouts, lime wedges, sliced chili peppers, hoisin sauce, and sriracha sauce on the side.
- Diners can customize their bowls by adding herbs, sprouts, and sauces to taste.
- Squeeze lime juice into the broth before eating for an extra burst of flavor.
Enjoy your homemade Vietnamese Pho with Rare Beef and Brisket, a heartwarming and comforting dish that’s perfect for any occasion!