Pho is a popular Vietnamese noodle soup that is typically made with beef or chicken broth, rice noodles, and various herbs and spices. If you are a fan of spicy food, then you will love this recipe for spicy pho. In this article, we will show you how to make this delicious dish at home.
- 1 lb beef bones
- 1 lb beef brisket
- 1 onion
- 2 inches ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- Salt to taste
- Rice noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh herbs (basil, mint, cilantro)
- Lime wedges
- Sliced chili peppers
- Roast the beef bones in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 400°F until they are browned.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the roasted beef bones, brisket, onion, ginger, and garlic. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
- In a dry skillet, toast the cinnamon stick, star anise, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and black peppercorns until fragrant. Add the toasted spices to the pot.
- Simmer the broth for about 3 hours, until the beef is tender and the broth is rich and flavorful.
- Strain the broth and discard the solids. Return the broth to the pot and add the fish sauce, sugar, chili sauce, and salt to taste.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions.
- To serve, divide the cooked noodles among bowls and ladle the hot broth over them. Top with slices of cooked brisket, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, lime wedges, and sliced chili peppers.
Enjoy your delicious and spicy bowl of pho!