Rare Steak, Brisket & Tripe is a classic Vietnamese dish known for its tender slices of beef, including rare steak, flavorful brisket, and chewy tripe. This dish is commonly enjoyed as a topping for pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) or in a variety of noodle dishes. Here’s how to prepare it at home.
For the Beef and Tripe:
- 8 oz (225g) beef sirloin or eye of round steak, thinly sliced
- 8 oz (225g) beef brisket, thinly sliced
- 4 oz (115g) beef tripe, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Thai bird’s eye chili pepper, finely chopped (optional for heat)
- Fresh herbs (Thai basil, cilantro, and mint)
- Bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha sauce (optional for extra heat)
- Hoisin sauce (optional)
1. Prepare the Beef and Tripe:
- Thinly slice the beef sirloin or eye of round steak, beef brisket, and beef tripe.
- Season the sliced beef and tripe with a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Heat the Wok or Skillet:
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and let it get hot.
3. Sauté Shallot and Garlic:
- Add the thinly sliced shallot and minced garlic to the hot oil.
- Sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned.
4. Cook the Beef and Tripe:
- Add the seasoned beef and tripe to the wok.
- Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the beef is cooked to your desired level of doneness (rare or medium-rare is popular for this dish).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Prepare the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chopped Thai bird’s eye chili pepper (if using).
- Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
6. Assemble the Dish:
- Divide the cooked beef and tripe into serving bowls.
- Serve with fresh herbs (Thai basil, cilantro, and mint), bean sprouts, lime wedges, and optional Sriracha and Hoisin sauces.
- To enjoy this dish, dip the cooked beef and tripe into the dipping sauce and pair it with fresh herbs, bean sprouts, and lime juice for a burst of flavors and textures.
Conclusion: Rare Steak, Brisket & Tripe is a delectable Vietnamese dish that highlights the rich flavors and textures of beef and tripe. Whether you serve it as a topping for pho or as part of a noodle dish, it’s a delightful and savory treat that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy the deliciousness of this homemade dish!