What Is Shaking Beef?
Have you ever wondered about the name: shaking cow or not? Some people say that this beef dish has to be constantly stirred, so it’s called shaking. There are also people who say: when shaking, it is a dice (dice) that describes the shape of a piece of beef cut in squares like a dice.
This is also an unmistakable feature of this dish. It sounds reasonable to everyone, but we have to admit one thing: the shaking beef is a unique creation of the Vietnamese people. Instead of eating the whole thick steak of Westerners, we have cut it into smaller, more beautiful pieces to suit Eastern culture. Also, give them a funny name, right?
In fact, beef jerky has the French name “sauté diced beef”, including stir-fried beef with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers… The beef is cut into small cubes before pan-frying.
In the United States, this dish also bears another name, “shaking beef” according to the literal translation of Vietnamese. Not only that, but the shaking beef has also become popular in Cambodia with the name “lok lak”.
Because beef was very expensive in the past, it was mainly served at important events such as anniversaries and weddings. But today with the growing economic conditions, shaking beef has become popular in the meals of Vietnamese families.
- Bell pepper
How to Marinate Shaking Beef
Another important part to create the famous flavor of shaking beef is seasoning shaking beef. Remember to follow the recipe below that culinary experts has shared.
Shaken beef marinade includes:
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2ctablespoon seasoning powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- A little pepper
You mix well and marinate for at least 30 minutes for the meat to absorb Spice.
However, depending on the volume of the meat is more or less, you have the most suitable adjustment.
Tip: To prevent the beef from becoming tough, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and mix well. Then cornstarch acts as an outer layer to help keep the meat from losing water. When stir-fried, the meat is still soft, not dry or tough.
How to Make Shaking Beef With Potatoes
Among the popular recipes, shaking beef with potatoes is the most popular. You will feel the harmony of each piece of tender and fragrant beef with fresh potato and green vegetables.
- 500g beef
- 3-5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- A few cloves of garlic
- Seasoning: salt, cooking oil, sugar, pepper, seasoning, noodles, oyster sauce, fish sauce
- Served with raw vegetables: coriander, lettuce…
If you love Vietnamese Shaking Beef Rice Plate – Cơm Bò Lúc Lắc, Please check and Order Here. Welcome to Mr Pho Aurora!
- First with potatoes, you peel, wash, cut into long lengthwise pieces. Then you soak in dilute salt water for about 15 minutes and then bring to boil. Next, soak in cold water to make the potatoes crispy before frying.
- With onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, you wash them, cut them into bite-sized squares. With peeled garlic, smashed and minced. With raw vegetables, you wash with dilute salt water and then drain.
- With beef, you wash it, then cut it into 2×2 squares to eat.
- You marinate beef with spices: 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, 1 teaspoon seasoning, 1 teaspoon seasoning, 1 teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon cooking oil, 2 teaspoons garlic hash. Mix well and set aside for 45-60 minutes for the beef to absorb all the spices.
- Then you put the potatoes in a frying pan with oil on high heat so that the pieces of potatoes are evenly browned, crispy and delicious, then take them out to drain the oil.
- You add less oil, add bell peppers, onions and stir-fry, stirring until cooked, then scoop out into a separate bowl.
- With garlic, you put in non-fragrant cooking oil. Then add the marinated beef and stir-fry over high heat. You stir well and continuously let the beef pieces cook evenly on all sides for about 3 minutes, then you add the bell peppers and onions and continue to stir until the mixture is completely cooked, then turn off the heat.
- Finally, you put the beef on a plate, add bell peppers and onions around, decorate with raw vegetables to make the dish more attractive. Fries can be served separately with beef.
Note to have the most standard potato shake:
- When slicing beef, you need to pay attention to cut the right grain so that it is not chewy
- You can put the beef in the freezer for about 1 hour to make it easier to cut.
- Stir-fried beef until it’s just barely cooked, don’t let it be overcooked.
- Choose tuber potatoes, do not get sprouted tubers. Even if they are processed, they can cause severe poisoning.
With potatoes, you can cut them into many shapes, but don’t let them be thick enough to eat quickly.
- The dish should be eaten all day or just left for the next day. Beef after processing is easy to lose quality, the longer it is, the tougher it is.