With only all the necessary ingredients and spices, within about 1 hour, you will have a standard plate of char siu from color to flavor.
- 1.5 kg shoulder meat (with fat)
- 1 piece of ginger (for washing meat)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (for rinsing meat)
- Warm water (to wash meat)
- 1 branch of ginger
- 5 purple onions
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 roots of cilantro (coriander)
- 1 chili pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon char siu (Chinese brand)
- 2 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Barbecue Sauce (or Char Siu Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tbsp seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon apricot wine
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
Step 1: Prepare
- Wash the meat, soak it in warm water with ginger and vinegar added for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- While the meat is soaking, peel and wash the shallots, garlic, and ginger. coriander root. Cut into small pieces for easy blending. Remove seeds if using.
Step 2: Marinate the Meat
- Puree onion, garlic, ginger, chili, coriander root in a blender. Add remaining marinade seasonings, grind to mix well
- Marinate the meat with the minced mixture.
- Marinate the meat in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Chili Meat with Vietnamese Sandwich is very delicious. Do you want to enjoy it? Please Order Here. Thank You!
Step 3: Processing
Processing Char Siu by Pan:
- Turn on high heat, then put all the meat and sauce mixture into the pan, bring to a high heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low to simmer the meat. Taste the sauce again to taste.
- Rim meat and sauce in pan until meat is tender. Remember to stir well and turn the meat several times while rimming so that the spices are evenly absorbed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey, turn the meat over, and simmer for about 5 more minutes until the meat is nicely colored.
- Use chopsticks to skewer the meat to check that the meat is cooked, then turn off the heat and put the pan down.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Prepare a foil-lined baking tray, place the grill on top, and arrange the meat. Bake the meat for 15 minutes.
- While the meat is roasting, bring the marinade to a boil in the pan for 5 minutes. Divide 1 part for dipping, 1 part for meat sauce. Add 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of honey to the meat sauce, mix well.
- Remove the meat, spread the sauce evenly on both sides and bake for 10 minutes on each side. Brush the sauce over again when removing the meat to turn it over.
- Bake for another 5 minutes on high heat to burn the edges.
Step 4: Done
- When finished, char siu meat will have the characteristic iridescent red-brown appearance of the meat layer mixed with white bands of soft, chewy fat.
- Slice the meat thinly and serve on a plate. Use char siu with hot rice, sticky rice, or bread with laksa leaves and sauerkraut.
- Store in the refrigerator in small portions to eat gradually. If you keep it for a long time, keep it in the freezer.